I am a true believer in the old adage “stolen kisses are sweetest,” only I believe it applies to a whole lot of other life experiences as well. Without further discussion, I give you my top five guilty pleasures:
5. Food sneaking. There is no frosting quite like the frosting (accidentally) snagged with a finger off the side of a cake. So rich, so sweet, so utterly delectable. Not that I would ever do this as an adult. Not me.
4. Unsanctioned naps. There are planned naps, which are nice, and then there are the other kind. You know – the kind that happen in a patch of sunlight shining warm through the window, or in front of the fireplace, when you are supposed to be doing All The Things. And you tell yourself a little story. “It’s only for a minute. I’ll close my eyes for just the count of a few breaths, and then I’ll get back to work.” But it’s warm and comfy, and your eyelids are so heavy, and your body is so languid and relaxed…
3. A little something extra in the coffee. I’m not talking whipped cream, although real whipped cream in the coffee definitely is a guilty pleasure. I mean the Baileys or Kahlua, bright and early in the morning. Nobody even needs to know.
4. Twitter. Oh Twitter, my beloved, you are such a time sucking distraction. There is nothing quite like the siren allure of the Twitter feed when I’m supposed to be writing. If I actually have free time in which I say, “Now I will sit down and enjoy Twitter,” it never seems to be as fun.
5. Reading when you’re supposed to be doing other things. Seriously. Books are better read covertly under blankets with a flashlight, hidden behind a textbook in class at school, behind a locked door at the office.
That is my top five. Believe me when I say there are plenty more where those came from.
So now it’s your turn – what are your favorite guilty pleasures, and what makes them sweet?