When do I find time to write? Never. When do I make time to write? When motivated by gallons of coffee, a deadline or a fit of writerly inspiration that simply can not wait. Overall, I prefer to write in the morning while the kids are in school. Every so often I’ll take my laptop to bed, but I really dislike not having the mouse at my right hand – my extra appendage – I’m new to a laptop, believe it or not.
I tend to write my best non-fic from an emotional barrage of ideas. Something in the news ticks me off royally and off I go submitting a piece to Huffington Post in my own huff. Or a fictional character taps me on the shoulder and says, “Hey, I really need to get out of your head and onto paper, Kim.”
That little guy in the photo is called “Clocky.” I first saw him at MoMa in New York. We all chase time, but with Clocky (which is so annoying as to almost sound like Colicky, appropriately enough) time chases YOU! He’s like R2D2 on crack. I’m thinking of getting one to remind me when to start writing.
Latest posts by Kim Stagliano (see all)
- Deb Kim Says “So Long, Farewell!” - August 24, 2011
- Deb Kim and Character Flaws - August 17, 2011
- Deb Kim’s Pictorial Book Tour - August 10, 2011
- Bon Voyeurage! Set Sail with Tawna Fenske’s Making Waves! - August 3, 2011
- Stop! You Must Hop On…. Populazzi by Elise Allen! - July 27, 2011