My favorite summer food, also my favorite thing of all time to eat for breakfast is simple and amazingly delicious.
When my mother was growing up, she had a peach tree in her back yard, and every year they had far more peaches than they knew what to do with.
I suspect this is why my family recipe books are jammed with peach tarts, peach pie, peach cobbler, peach salad, and well, peach jam.
I imagine that my favorite family recipe was probably just the product of my industrious Grandma Vernie’s desire to find yet another use for peaches, but it is a favorite of mine, my mother’s, my aunt’s and now my daughter’s.
PEACHES ON TOAST
Slice 4-5 peaches into small, bite sized pieces, put into a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Mix. (Now there’s a real shocker — sugar! In one of my family recipes!)
Toast 8 slices of whole wheat bread, slather with butter when toast is hot out of the toaster.
Cover each slice of toast liberally with peaches.
Serves 4 normal people (or 2 -3 in my family.)
Try it. It sounds strange, but it is delicious. If I ever open a restaurant, this will be my signature dish. 🙂
The Debs are off to San Francisco this week for the RWA conference. We hope to see you there!
Latest posts by Lisa Daily (see all)
- Ugh. Cancer. By Deb Lisa Daily - Wednesday, October 1, 2008
- Debutantes Love to Do The Funky Chicken by Deb Lisa Daily - Wednesday, August 27, 2008
- Please Welcome Our Guest Debutante, the Fabulous Jane Green - Wednesday, August 13, 2008
- Schooled by Guest Blogger Anisha Lakhani - Saturday, August 9, 2008
- You MUST read Falling Under by Danielle Younge-Ullman - Wednesday, August 6, 2008