All of my writing mentors have at one point said the same thing:
- Don’t give up.
- Keep Writing.
- When you’re stuck, change your surroundings.
- and my once-upon-a-time teacher teacher Lucille Clifton said, read your work aloud — if you start to stumble, if your tongue starts to trip up, then cut what you’ve written.
Here’s some W.O.W. (words of wisdom): (thanks to AZ Quotes)
If by a “Liberal,” they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people – their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties – someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a “Liberal,” then I’m proud to say that I’m a “Liberal.”-John F. Kennedy
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.-John Lennon
Surround yourself with people who make you happy. People who make you laugh, who help you when you’re in need. People who genuinely care. They are the ones worth keeping in your life. Everyone else is just passing through.-Karl Marx
It takes courage to push yourself to places you have never been before… to test your limits… to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to stay tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. –Anais Nin
Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence. -Ovid
Don’t take my devils away, because my angels may flee too.-Rainer Maria Rilke
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. –Desmond Tutu
If you don’t EVOLVE, you dissolve. You evolve or you evaporate. – Usher
As you begin to realize that every different type of music, everybody’s individual music, has its own rhythm, life, language and heritage, you realize how life changes, and you learn how to be more open and adaptive to what is around us. –Yo-Yo Ma
Books to Consider This Week: Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino and The God of Small Things By Arundhuti Roy
Latest posts by Devi Laskar (see all)
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: Mahalo and Aloha - Tuesday, August 20, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: book baby birthday bash - Tuesday, August 13, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: What Happens Next - Tuesday, August 6, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: They Could Have Named Her Anything! - Tuesday, July 30, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: Remains of the Day - Tuesday, July 23, 2019