Are you interested in being one of the Class of 2020 Debs at The Debutante Ball? We want to hear from you!
Wow. It’s hard to believe that nearly a year has flown by and that already so most of our books are out in the world! But it’s time to pass our tiaras on to the next writers of The Deb Ball.
- We’re looking for female or non-binary fiction or memoir writers who have not yet had a book published, but will have one released between September 2019 and August 2020 by a traditional commercial publisher. You’ll need a firm release date – or, well, as firm as it ever gets in publishing.
- All genres of Adult and YA are welcome; we’d like a Deb class with a good mix of genres to bring you an audience you might not normally get, and to mix it up a little for readers.
- Enthusiasm is a must! We want to know that your heart is really and truly in this, and for all the right reasons. The Deb Ball has a long tradition of fostering community and support for writers at all stages of the process. It’s more than a platform for first-time novelists; it’s a celebration of writing and publication. It’s also a legacy, built over the last eleven years, of amazing writers who are now household names. We want to preserve this special arena.
- You don’t need to have blogged previously, but if you have, please let us know where we can find you online so we can get to know you.
- Experience with the WordPress blogging platform is not required, but is a plus. If you have experience with WordPress, web design, or are otherwise tech savvy, please make sure to let us know that in your application.
- It’s important that you make time for The Ball. Being a Deb requires a 2-4 hour commitment each week—not only are you responsible for your own posts, but you will need to commit to helping to maintain the site, find guest authors, and publicize the blog through your own networking channels. Don’t worry, we’ve got a system, and we’ll train you up. But we want to know you’ll keep the Ball thriving!
The best part of being a Deb is the camaraderie and friendship among the group. So if you’re not only looking to launch a book, but to launch some lifelong friendships, then The Debutante Ball is the place for you!
Each Deb has a role to play on the site, but we all back each other up when needed. The main responsibilities of a Deb include, but are not limited to:
- Blogging one day per week on an agreed-upon topic, and helping to contribute to a daily presence on the site by commenting on other Deb posts and sharing other Deb posts on your own social media
- Providing your fellow Debs with your book in advance of your release week so they can read it (one copy can be passed around by mail or e-galleys, if your publisher offers electronic ARCs.) After reading the books, support your fellow Debs by posting reviews on Goodreads, Amazon (post pub), Barnes & Noble, and iTunes.
- Maintaining the website (it’s all set up for you, so this is easier than it might sound, but there is regular maintenance to be done)
- Managing the Twitter and Facebook accounts, including daily promotions of posts through both tweets and Facebook postings
- Hosting a guest on Saturdays and putting up a News Flash on Sunday
- Choosing your topics for the year
- Giving away a copy of your book to celebrate your launch week
- Choosing next year’s Debutante Ball class of 2021
It sounds like a lot, but when broken up among five people, it’s much more manageable, we promise!
If this sounds like something you are interested in doing, head to this form and fill it out.
If you have any questions, please address them to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re accepting applications through Friday, June 28, 2019. We will announce the new Deb Class of 2020 around the first week of August, and let those of you chosen know before announcing it on the blog.
After the new Debs are chosen there will be Deb boot camp (okay, it’s really just a passing off of the Deb baton) so that you’re ready to take the reins in September.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Latest posts by K.A. Doore (see all)
- Introducing: Lisa Braxton, author of THE TALKING DRUM - Monday, August 26, 2019
- Scream Until We’re Hoarse - Monday, August 19, 2019
- Interview with Stephanie Burgis and giveaway of SNOWSPELLED! - Saturday, August 17, 2019
- Share Your Joy - Monday, August 12, 2019
- Announcing Your 2020 Deb Class! - Sunday, August 11, 2019