To be honest, we’re all still in a bit of shock from how fast this year has flown. The Deb Ball will forever hold a very special place in our journey to publication, and we want to leave it in good hands as it enters its 9th (9th!) season. We’re looking for debut novelists who embrace community and authenticity, and who understand that creating a platform is less about you and more about who you can connect with in a meaningful way. If this sounds like you, read on for the rest of our wish list:
1. We’re looking for female fiction writers who have not yet had a novel published, but will have one released between September 2014 and August 2015 by a traditional commercial publisher.
2. All genres are welcome; we’d like a Deb class with a good mix of genres to bring you an audience you might not normally get, and to mix it up a little for readers.
3. Enthusiasm is a must! We want to know that your heart is really and truly in this, and for all the right reasons. The Deb Ball has a long tradition of fostering community and support for writers at all stages of the process. It’s more than a platform for first-time novelists; it’s a celebration of writing and publication. It’s also a legacy, built over the last nine years, of amazing writers who are now household names. We want to preserve this special arena.
4. You don’t have to have blogged previously, but if you have, please let us know where we can find you online so we can get to know you. The larger your reach, the better.
5. Experience with the WordPress blogging platform is not required, but is a plus. If you have experience with WordPress, web design, or are otherwise tech savvy, please make sure to let us know that in your application.
6. It’s important that you make time for The Ball. Being a Deb requires a 2-4 hour commitment each week—not only are you responsible for your own posts, but you will need to commit to helping to maintain the site, find guest authors, and publicize the blog through your own networking channels. In short, we want to know you’ll keep the Ball thriving!
If this sounds like you, here’s how you can apply:
Copy and paste the following questions into an email and send them along with your answers (please, no attachments) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re accepting applications through July 30, 2014. We will announce the new Deb Class of 2015 around the first week of August, and let those of you chosen know before announcing it on the blog.
1. Tell us a little about yourself!
2. About your book?
3. Publisher and scheduled release date?
4. Why do you want to be a Deb? What do you bring to the blog? Please feel free to include details about other writings you may have published; experience you have with blogging or online writing communities; and other skills or experience you may have with PR/marketing, websites, working within a group, or anything else you feel may be relevant and/or helpful. (due to the fact that all five of us will be reading all of these, please try to limit this to around 300-400 words, thanks!).<
5. How did you find out about The Debs?
6. Anything you would like to share that we should know about you?
The main responsibilities of a Deb include, but are not limited to:
- Blogging one day per week on an agreed-upon topic, and helping to contribute to a daily presence on the site by commenting on other Deb posts
- Providing your fellow Debs with your book in advance of your release week so they can read it (paper or electronic galleys from your publisher)
- Maintaining the website (it’s all set up for you, so this is easier than it might sound, but there is regular maintenance to be done)
- Managing the Twitter and Facebook accounts, including daily promotions of posts through both tweets and Facebook postings
- Sharing the responsibility of hosting guest authors on Saturdays and gathering past and present Deb news for the Sunday News Flash
- Choosing your topics for the year
- Giving away a copy of your book to celebrate your launch week
- Choosing next year’s Debutante Ball class of 2016
After the new Debs are chosen there will be Deb boot camp (okay, it really means we’ll walk you through each of our tasks, offer advice, and answer any questions you have) so that you’re ready to take the reins on September 1.
Good luck! We’re so excited to hear from you.
Latest posts by Natalia Sylvester (see all)
- What It Really All Meant, In the End - Tuesday, August 26, 2014
- Book 2 Is Coming Soon, Eventually, Someday… - Tuesday, August 19, 2014
- Renee Swindle on Letting Go of the Rules + GIVEAWAY of A Pinch of Ooh La La! - Saturday, August 16, 2014
- The One Thing I Hope to Do Differently for the Next Book - Tuesday, August 12, 2014
- Anish Majumdar on Writing About Mental Illness, Fiction as Truth + Giveaway of THE ISOLATION DOOR - Saturday, August 9, 2014