True, you have to be creative to be a writer, and I’m grateful that I’ve been able to tap into my creative reserves in my new foray into fiction. While I’ve had to wear my creative hat for years as a magazine writer, there is something so new and exciting about fiction creativity–you can take your characters anywhere, make them do anything. It’s fun and freeing. And, a side note, I’ve also found that I adore the novel-development process. I love coming up with new ideas, and they come to me with such frequency, I have to hush the less-than-stellar ones (even the ones with merit) to leave room for the good ones to develop. (More on my second novel, which is now finished, soon!) For now, here’s a bit about the creative outlets I can’t claim to be good at–even mildly. Perhaps I’ll grow my skills in 2011?
1. Knitting. I’ve shared here before about my lack of hobbies and how knitting is high on my list for 2011. I marvel at women (and men) who can sit down with a spool of yarn and a few needles and produce something amazing like a sweater, a scarf or a hat.
2. Singing. I’ll never be a singer–ever. But, man, do I wish I could belt out a song like Norah Jones. Singing lessons in my future? Probably not. But I’ll keep up the singing in the shower in hopes that my karaoke skills improve at some point in my life. Goal: To not embarrass myself the next time I take the mic.
3. Baking fancy desserts. I cook and bake a lot for work–I do a lot of recipe testing and development for magazines (which I loooove!)–but when it comes to elaborate desserts (think fondant-covered cakes or fussy French confections), I tend to shy away. Maybe Deb Kim’s pastry creativity will rub off on me this year?
4. Interior design. I’d love to be able to walk into a room and confidently swap out a few throw pillows, paint a wall and pop in a new arm chair to totally remake my space. But, it’s not that simple for me. I agonize. I worry. I buy five of the wrong things before I find the right one. Me as an interior decorator? Not so much.
What creative outlets do you so wish you could tap into?
Latest posts by Sarah Jio (see all)
- Deb Sarah Says (Sniffle) Goodbye … and Hello - August 25, 2011
- Deb Sarah Steals Character Traits for Her Books From Friends & Family - August 18, 2011
- Deb Sarah Congratulates Deb Tawna, and Has a Confession… - August 4, 2011
- Deb Sarah Is Having a POPULAZZI Love Fest! - July 28, 2011
- Deb Sarah’s Dream Notebook - July 21, 2011