Let’s get this out in the open first thing: I’m a bit of a slob. (I’m sorry, Mom, but it’s true. I’ve always been a slob, as you’ll remember from my teen days when you would walk by my bedroom, sigh and close the door. Not much has changed, but you’ll be pleased to know that I did tidy up my desk a bit before I took the picture above. Not too much, because I wanted this to be an accurate post of what my writing space looks like, but I did remove some of the extraneous clutter.)
So. This is my little desk. I used to write in the basement in a large closet, but it was too cold, so I cleared the bed out of our spare bedroom and made it my office. I share it with Zoe, whose crate is also in there. She’s very kind in letting me have half the space, although as you can see, she often insists on overseeing my work. To the right is a nice big window that looks out onto my back yard where there are bird feeders and a couple of bird baths, which provide welcome distractions when I need a few moments to collect my thoughts.
So here is the picture again, this time with all my essential stuff itemized, which I will explain below.
- This is my main bookshelf. It used to be a closet, but I have more books than I do clothes, so at the suggestion of my very wise husband, we took the door off and TADAA! Bookshelf! The top two shelves contain my small but always growing ‘personalized and signed-by-author’ collection. Most of these books are by friends of mine, so they mean a lot to me.
- As you can see, I buy a lot of books. Especially books by my friends, and sometimes-as I have discovered after taking this photo-I end up with a few copies of the same book. I will give away one of my duplicates (or triplicates, as is the case in one instance) to the first commenter who can name by title and author any one of the several books that occur on this shelf more than once.***
- This is my husband’s picture. It’s kind of weird and I’m not sure why it’s in my office, but it came with him as a package deal, so there it is.
- This is one of Barry Lyga’s minimates – swag from his GOTH GIRL RISING release. The book rocked and Barry’s a good guy, so this was a much-coveted piece of promo material. He didn’t give me this, though, I stole it from Lisa McMann. (Okay, I didn’t really steal it; she gave it to me, but I think it’s so much cooler to say I swiped it from a famous author when she wasn’t looking, don’t you?)
- This is a classic Magic 8 Ball, given to me by the very awesome former Deb Eileen Cook. I use it all the time. It is wrong all the time.
- This is a model canoe that husband and I bought at a gift store in Algonquin Park. There’s even a paddle inside. Sometimes, when editing gets really tough, I imagine myself shrinking down and paddling away in it. Upstream, and then I lose the paddle. (See what I’m doing here? Up the creek? Never mind.)
- Yes, this is a fax machine. It’s not actually hooked up to anything, since we no longer have a land line, so I’m not sure why we still have it. True story: last night when there was a thunderstorm, it started freaking out and ringing, surely calling the mother ship or Satan or Anthony Hopkins. Hey – anyone need a semi-possessed fax machine?
- This post-it note says “I ROCK” and was given to me by A.S. King who very much rocks, herself. Sometimes, I put it on my person and look at myself wearing it in the mirror, because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.
- I like Post-its. A lot.
- The Elements of Style – Strunk and White
- Stress ball – I’m a writer, ‘nuff said.
- A model of the Star Princess. Because I really like cruising. It’s my happy place and sometimes the stress ball just isn’t enough.
- This is Hermano, the donkey that we got on our last cruise when we had a port day in Bonaire. It was a very lovely little island that had a donkey sanctuary. We never went to the donkey sanctuary, but the key chain was cute and I like donkeys. I can’t remember exactly why we named him Hermano, but we are big fans of Arrested Development. If you aren’t, you won’ t get why that’s funny, so you can just move on.
- This is my mini Office Voodoo Kit. Also given to me by A. S. King.
- I like Post-its. A lot. In case you can’t tell, I have star ones, mini rectangular ones, regular square ones and even a special holder that contains four different kinds. I’m a Post-it nerd.
- Mini Slinky. I don’t know where this came from. I would play with it more, because it’s kind of meditative, but it makes my hands smell weird.
- Hey! Where are the rest of my J.R. Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood books? Wait, I think my friend Lisa S. has them. If you are reading this, Lisa S., I want them back! (and I also want to discuss them with you over a hot beverage, so give me a call).
- My office roommate, Zoe.
So there is the little tour of my desk. It’s not overly exciting, but it’s where I get most of my work done and write my books and these little posts that hopefully entertain you. Now lean in close and suss out those duplicate books. While you do, I’ll just have a seat and get some writing done, if you don’t mind.
***I will announce the winner and provide a list of the duplicate books in this weekend’s NewsFlash.
Latest posts by JoanneL (see all)
- The Dance is Over, but Deb Joanne’s Card is Full - August 27, 2012
- IN A FIX Launch Week – Deb Joanne’s all about the Dudes - August 20, 2012
- For Deb Joanne Reading is Always a Good Habit - August 13, 2012
- The Debutante Ball Welcomes Gina Rosati! - August 11, 2012
- The Voices in Deb Joanne’s Head Are Funny Ones - August 6, 2012