I love book covers. This is one of the reasons why I prefer paper books to electronic. When done well, they draw us straight to the books we love. When done badly – well – things happen. Mismatches occur. People pick up books they think will be one thing, but turn out to be another. Or they don’t pick up the book at all because the cover doesn’t pull pull them in.
Sometimes, the covers are just, shall we say, not well planned out:
And sometimes they are incredibly beautiful:
Something I never realized before I got published is that there are certain known conventions for covers. If a man and woman appear on the cover together, it usually means romance. Certain colors tend to mean certain genres, etc. I suppose this all makes sense, but as a reader I never really thought about it. If I like a cover, I pick up the book, read the back copy, and a page from the middle to see if I like the writing style. Which is why I am eternally grateful to the beautiful cover I got for BETWEEN.
What about you? Do you have a favorite cover, or one that makes you die of laughter? We’d love to have you share.
Latest posts by KerryS (see all)
- Goodbye, from Deb Kerry and Random Penuin - Monday, August 26, 2013
- Deb Kerry’s best friend is a Viking - Monday, August 19, 2013
- Deb Kerry’s Writing Journey is the Ultimate Road Trip - Monday, August 12, 2013
- Deb Kerry and The Flying Pigs - Monday, August 5, 2013
- Deb Kerry is Riding Off Into the Sunset. Take Two. Or Three. - Monday, July 29, 2013