When you hit a certain age and a certain income level, gift-giving becomes hard. There is probably someone in your life like this – they want for nothing, or the thing they want most cannot be bought.
So I offer you this list of gifts for the person who wants for nothing.
1. For the animal lover – a donation to Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends is an amazing organization – they have an enormous sanctuary in Kanab, Utah for special needs and abandoned animals, but they also do national and international work and rescue. When you make a donation, you get a subscription to their magazine, which has phenomenal stories about the work they do and the animals they love.
2. For the passionate activist – a donation to the cause that will mean the most to them. Because my mother is a breast cancer survivor, I’m a fan of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, but there’s likely an organization doing work they care about that would appreciate a donation. Often they will offer printable cards telling of your donation.
3. For the person who has to have something to open – A PostSecret book. Frank Warren’s project where people send in their secrets on postcards has been going strong since 2004. You can read new secrets each Sunday, and he collects them in books. A portion of the proceeds go to the anti-suicide organization, Hopeline/Kristin Brooks Hope Center. There are four books available. The secrets were even featured in the video for All American Rejects’ “Dirty Little Secret.”
4. For the global thinker – A gift of livestock or training from Heifer International. “Heifer’s mission is to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth.” They give gifts of livestock and training to families to help them become self-sufficient, so you can give someone a flock of chicks, or a tree, or a goat (or even a share of a goat!). Because how many people can say they got a water buffalo for Christmas?
That’s my go-to list of gifts when the person I’m giving to doesn’t need another Snuggie.
What do you give to the person who has everything?
Latest posts by Eleanor Brown (see all)
- The Debutante Ball Welcomes (Back) Deb Eleanor! - Saturday, February 4, 2012
- Deb Eleanor’s Debut Year in Numbers - Tuesday, August 23, 2011
- Characters We Love and Loathe, by Deb Eleanor - Tuesday, August 16, 2011
- Be a Homebody With Deb Eleanor - Tuesday, August 9, 2011
- Love, Lust, and Deb Tawna’s MAKING WAVES! (Giveaway!) - Tuesday, August 2, 2011