This week’s topic is hobbies, or “what do you do when you’re not writing?”
My initial reaction when I saw it was a blank and clueless stare, followed by the question, “Can Twitter be a hobby?” And then I literally clicked on over to Google to help me out. The first definition supplied by the All Knowing Google is this:
- An activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure.
- A migratory Old World falcon (genus Falco) with long narrow wings, catching dragonflies and birds on the wing.
This was not helpful. Because my new response was “what the heck is leisure time?” And my second was “I don’t own a falcon.” So what now?
Falconry would be a fascinating hobby, if one had leisure time in which to pursue it, don’t you think? I love that bit where the birds come diving in and land on the leather glove, looking all fierce. Also – oooh – have you seen the movie Lady Hawke?
Back to hobbies. I used to have hobbies, once upon a time and before I got serious about writing.
I did a little of this:
And a fair bit of this:
And also quite a lot of this:
I own a grand piano and used to play it a lot, and dreamed of someday taking lessons again. I studied languages, and had grand plans of brushing up my French, and taking on Spanish and German. But the reality is that trying to navigate family, work, and writing pretty much takes up all of the hours not spent in sleeping. And I’m good with that.
The one thing I still make time for in an over scheduled life is books. I read, as I write, in between all of the other things I am doing. None of the long lazy days where I used to polish off a whole book at once. Now it’s a chapter here and a chapter there, although I have been known on occasion to drop everything and let myself be lost in the story.
Have any of the rest of you given up leisure time and hobbies in the pursuit of some driving passion?
Latest posts by KerryS (see all)
- Goodbye, from Deb Kerry and Random Penuin - August 26, 2013
- Deb Kerry’s best friend is a Viking - August 19, 2013
- Deb Kerry’s Writing Journey is the Ultimate Road Trip - August 12, 2013
- Deb Kerry and The Flying Pigs - August 5, 2013
- Deb Kerry is Riding Off Into the Sunset. Take Two. Or Three. - July 29, 2013