I’m an incurable homebody. As such, my guilty pleasures are often the things that a lot of people would regard as a punishment—staying home on a weekend. Hanging out all day in the sewing room.
But I do have some true guilty pleasures, which I will list for you, for reasons that will soon become obvious:
(1) Making lists. (Har har!)
(2) Eating leftovers. At restaurants, I’ll stop eating my entrée when I’m halfway done, just so I can take it home and scarf down the rest of it at midnight.
(3) Panda Express. For those of you unfamiliar with Panda Express, it’s a fast-food Chinese place that gave my articifial food-sensitive boss a two-day food hangover. But for me, it’s heaven, breaded and served with a sweet orange sauce. In June 2007, I learned that it’s especially tasty when eaten at 11 A.M. (hey, that’s what time jurors get to go to lunch!).
(4) Writing long letters with extra-fine Sharpies, even though you’re not supposed to.
(5) Listening to Jane Austen books on audiobook. Also, watching Jane Austen movies. And reading Jane Austen books on paper.
(6) Napping with Winston on a lazy day. For all his craziness, I will say this: the dog is smart enough to appreciate a good nap.
(7) Going to the fabric store and wandering for up to two hours. And then rewarding myself for buying such great fabric by buying Mentos and a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi at the drugstore next door.
(8) For Richer or Poorer, starring Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley. The Three Amigos. A disturbing quantity of David Spade, Adam Sandler, and Chris Farley movies.
(9) Reality TV—especially Biggest Loser, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and Ruby.
(10) Wearing my cat socks every year on the second night of the National Championship dog show. It’s my little way of asserting the fact that once upon a time, I was a cat person. Although I forgot this year, for the first time in five years.
And finally, and this is the one I hope everyone gets to indulge in a little…
(11) For the most part, liking myself. Spending time with myself. Accepting myself. Daydreaming. Reading. Taking care of myself. Not being too hard on myself if the scale goes up a pound or two, but being a good enough steward of my body that I continue to make an effort to get the exercise and nutrition to keep myself healthy.
So, have I scandalized you? Helped you to feel that you’re not alone in the world? Trust me, my list is nothing. You should hear Winston’s guilty pleasures.
Latest posts by Katie Alender (see all)
- The Debutante Ball Welcomes Katie Alender (giveaway!) - June 18, 2011
- One last time across the floor, by Deb Katie - August 25, 2009
- The creative process… and I do mean “process,” by Deb Katie - August 18, 2009
- Pretty much anything but Lord of the Flies, by Deb Katie - August 11, 2009
- I’m not a vampire, but I still feel pretty darn sparkly, by Deb Katie - August 4, 2009