That was my aim with my debut novel, All Come Home—to create a story that’s bighearted, accessible, and totally, authentically me.
A week after Hurricane Katrina, I was hired at a regional newspaper, The Landmark, in my hometown of Holden, Massachusetts. For months my colleagues and I wrote about volunteers from our area helping the people of New Orleans. That spirit of community outreach inspired All Come Home. I asked myself, What would happen if one of those Massachusetts volunteers didn’t return? And the book grew from that question.
All Come Home is peopled with lively small-town heroes. You’ll meet a chainsaw artist in her seventies. (Because really, isn’t it time American literature boasted a strong, chainsaw-wielding older woman?) And you’ll meet Ingrid, a young girl scheming to get to know world-famous TV chef Polly Pinch, coquettish star of a hit cooking show. You’ll meet other characters too.
All Come Home comes out in August 2010 from Penguin’s Dutton imprint.
More about me:
1. I’m married to my college sweetheart, novelist Matthew Quick. In 2004, with the shared goal of becoming full-time novelists, we quit our jobs, sold our house, and moved in with my parents. Five years later, Matt and I are on our own, back in the Philly area, publishing novels and doing everything we can to continue living the dream.
2. I can’t wait to be reunited with my piano, which is very quietly waiting in what was my parents’ dining room in Massachusetts. What caused the separation? More on that in future posts.
3. Does it have something (anything) to do with France? Or dogs? Movies? Music, of any kind? Yoga? Travel? If so, I’m probably very interested!
You’ll learn more about me—and I’m eager to learn more about you, dear Readers!—in the coming months. I’m so thankful to attend The Ball. Let the dancing begin.
Latest posts by Alicia Bessette (see all)
- Signing off … and signing on - Wednesday, August 25, 2010
- If you like my book, you may also like … - Wednesday, August 18, 2010
- Party with Alicia … and the new Debs! - Wednesday, August 11, 2010
- My book! Cupcakes! Contests! - Wednesday, August 4, 2010
- Trashpicked treasures - Wednesday, July 28, 2010