New Year’s resolutions frighten me. They have a habit of getting broken, thus undermining my belief that I can achieve legitimate, important goals and generally leaving me a self-pitying mess.
But this year, I’m going to keep my New Year’s resolutions. I’m going to keep them with ease and sit back with a smile as those around me fall off their various wagons, plunge into self-hatred, depression and all-encompassing bitterness for which the only seeming remedy is to vow again next year and somehow hope to succeed.
From whence comes this smugness, you ask?
Well of course, I have a plan. Check out my resolutions and you’ll see what I mean…
This year I vow NOT to:
– bungee-jump, drive race cars, rock climb, helicopter ski, barefoot water ski, (regular water skiing is fine) surf or jump out of airplanes (with parachutes or otherwise) engage in any sport where I could get seriously hurt by a ball
– take up any other dangerous sports or hobbies not mentioned above (Like the the protagonist in Falling Under, I find more than enough danger in simply waking up in the morning. Though some might feel the need to challenge their fears by taking up some variety of death-defying hobbies, I do not.)
I also vow NOT to:
– give up chocolate, coffee or dessert
– go on any kind of “cleanse” especially the ones that require one to eat hideous combinations of garlic, chili peppers, lemon juice and bitter greens. (I’m also not doing the one with Epsom salt that’s supposed to draw out little blue and green colored “stones” from your kidneys that you then have the joy of seeing floating in the toilet.)
I vow not to eat green peppers or squiggly chicken or any chicken I can’t see (like in a sandwich–I’ll eat it, but only if I’ve been able to inspect it for squiggles first.)
You see what the plan is yet? That’s right: I’m not going to change. It’s all about vows I can’t help keeping.
Oh yeah, one more: I resolve NOT to take my Christmas tree down the day after New Years (Ha! I already achieved that one; see how tricky I am?!)
Happy New Year and may you keep your resolutions!
Latest posts by Danielle (see all)
- Not A Sonnet, But Something In Purple Satin by Deb Danielle Younge-Ullman - Thursday, October 2, 2008
- News Flash, August 31st - Sunday, August 31, 2008
- Glancing Backward — and Forward! by Guest Author, Kate Veitch - Saturday, August 30, 2008
- The Debs Take Utopia by Deb Danielle Younge-Ullman - Thursday, August 28, 2008
- Existential Ennui (or where is Danielle’s Daily Routine?) by Deb Danielle Younge-Ullman - Thursday, August 14, 2008