Far wiser minds than my own have already covered the really good advice for my adolescent self. We’ve covered the importance of learning to like myself, hugging my mom and enjoying the journey. When I started to write this post I wasn’t sure if I would have anything to add. To get some inspiration I looked through my yearbooks and diaries. Suddenly I have a lot of advice for my younger self. Advice that I clearly desperately needed.
Things I would tell myself if I could travel back in time:
– There is such a thing as hair that is too big. Put down the blow dryer and hairspray and back away slowly.
– The asymmetrical hair cut is not a good look. I look like half of my head was attacked by a rogue lawn mower.
– Skinny leather ties? Really? You thought this looked good?
– Don’t bother trying to keep the car accident a secret from dad, days later the police are going to show up during dinner and the gig will be up. If you think he’s going to be cranky about the accident wait till he gets ahold of the fact that you didn’t tell him.
– Enjoy those fries, in a few years you won’t be able look at fried food without your ass swelling up.
– Pay attention in math it’s going to come in handy later.
– As for the great crush of your high school life, JH, all the hours discussing anything he said, his every gesture are wasted. Wondering what’s wrong with you that he doesn’t seem to love you is missing the point. He’s not that into you. He’s not that into your gender in general. JH is gay. He’ll tell you this years later. Looking at the pictures you’ll wonder how the heck you didn’t notice this on your own. Apparently your gay-dar is broken as there will be more misdirected love in your future.
Overall if I could travel back to my younger self I would let myself know it’s all going to work out. Life is good and thank God, our hair grows.
Latest posts by Eileen (see all)
- The Second Time Around - Saturday, January 3, 2009
- Cancer is a Bitch- but Gail isn’t by Deb Eileen - Saturday, October 4, 2008
- I Never Knew When To Leave A Party- By (long term) Deb Eileen - Friday, August 22, 2008
- Food just tastes better when you set it on fire by Deb Eileen - Friday, August 1, 2008
- Heavy Lifting and Monty Python…by Deb Eileen - Friday, July 18, 2008