1) Snacking too much.
2) Pausing to check my email while I’m playing with the kids.
3) Staying up late because I’m too tired to get off the couch to go up to bed (and watching just one more recorded episode is so tempting!)
4) My most pervasive bad habit has to do with parking lots, but it applies all over my life:
I’m an on-time kind of person. Actually, I’m an early kind of person–I like time to spare, and no rushing. I put a lot of work into where I’m going. I print out directions. I keep an eye on the time. I take a few minutes in the bathroom to look right before I appear for an appointment.
What I don’t do is pay any attention to how I’m going to find my car again. I emerge from the mall or office space with no idea where I’ve parked it. I wander the rows, craning my neck. (This is especially hopeless when it’s a rental car and I *literally don’t even know what color it is.*) I treat getting somewhere like an elaborate production; getting home is an improvisation.
I do the same thing with paperwork. I’m careful with what needs to be done. But once the bill has been paid or the handwritten notes have been typed, I don’t pop the old pages into the recycling or file them. I literally put them down right where I am and move on to the Next Important Thing That Needs To Be Done. There the old pages sit, and gradually I forget if I’ve dealt with them already or not. I can’t throw them away without thoroughly reviewing them, and who has time for that? There is more that Needs To Be Done. Piles get taller.
I’d like to get better at finishing tasks off neatly, rather than just finishing the urgent parts and rushing to the urgent parts of the next thing. This includes needing to wash dishes after making a meal, and put clothes away after washing them. And taking a moment to note where I put the car, and printing out reverse directions to get me home.
Do you have a good “lost my car in a parking lot” story?
Latest posts by Emily Winslow (see all)
- So long, farewell…by Emily Winslow - August 23, 2010
- If you like my book… by Emily Winslow - August 16, 2010
- Invitations are tricky! by Emily Winslow - August 9, 2010
- Last Deb book of the year: Alicia’s Simply from Scratch - August 2, 2010
- Junk Week, by Emily Winslow - July 26, 2010