UNPREDICTABLE is such an awesome debut that I’m a bit lost for words. I just want to say BUY THIS BOOK NOW. But that doesn’t do it justice. Not for a book that doesn’t read like a debut. A book with a voice that is full of chutzpah and authorial authority. Or a protagonist like Sophie Kintock, who is honest and real and sassy and had me rooting for her the moment she said, “Obviously I’m not the crazy one here,” as she’s breaking into her ex-boyfriend’s apartment. Because she is. And that makes her utterly lovable. She is Everywoman who has felt not good enough, at loose ends, a bit desperate, in love with the idea of being in love, afraid to move on. And yet at the same time is larger than life, doing outrageous things I would have loved to have done but never had the nerve to. And Eileen Cook weaves the best details through her story starting with above mentioned no good ex-boyfriend’s sock that she steals in the first scene that ends up in Sophie’s hair later on. Please trust me when I say that Eileen Cook is a writer to watch. She is spit-water-out-your-mouth funny. Smart/funny. The kind of funny that makes you want to hang out with her. So I would suggest not only buying UNPREDICTABLE this very moment and devouring it the way Sophie devours ice cream, but also press it into the hands of family and friends. They’ll thank you!
Latest posts by Gail (see all)
- Launching and Leaving Simultaneously by Deb Gail - Monday, September 29, 2008
- More Cancer Is a Bitch… Chapter 2 by Deb Gail - Monday, September 22, 2008
- excerpt from Cancer Is a Bitch (Or, I’d Rather Be having a Midlife Crisis) by Deb Gail - Monday, September 8, 2008
- My Maudlin Post to The Debs by Deb Gail - Monday, August 25, 2008
- Writing Ritual in the Writing Hut by Deb Gail - Monday, August 11, 2008