On July 4, I was busy finishing up a few posts for my Glamour.com blog, Vitamin G, dealing with fussy kids, and eyeing the clock (at 11, I had to take the kids to the neighborhood’s annual Fourth of July parade). All the while, I was thinking of how bogged down I felt. The sun was shining, birds were chirping—and there was nothing I’d rather do than slip into my jogging shoes and head out for a run. But how could I when I had so many things to do!
You know what I did, though? I went anyway.
I decided that on July 4, of all days, I would excerise a little personal freedom and say to heck with my to-do list and just seize the moment and go for that run.
I’m not sure if I’ve shared here before or not, so I’ll say it again: I have found nothing (nothing!) as good at boosting my creativity as a hard run—the type that leave me really sweaty and red-faced (the harder the run, the more creative I get). I’ve thought of entire plots for novels, fixed character issues, and even come up with titles on my three mile jogs over the years. (Read about my third novel—just completed—which I basically wrote in my head while I jogged these past months!)
In short, I need to run. For my writing life. For my personal life. For me.
What unlocks your creativity?
Latest posts by Sarah Jio (see all)
- Deb Sarah Says (Sniffle) Goodbye … and Hello - Thursday, August 25, 2011
- Deb Sarah Steals Character Traits for Her Books From Friends & Family - Thursday, August 18, 2011
- Deb Sarah Congratulates Deb Tawna, and Has a Confession… - Thursday, August 4, 2011
- Deb Sarah Is Having a POPULAZZI Love Fest! - Thursday, July 28, 2011
- Deb Sarah’s Dream Notebook - Thursday, July 21, 2011