Are you interested in being one of the Class of 2014 Debs at The Debutante Ball? We want to hear from you!
It’s that time! The 2013 Debutante Ball class is looking for female writers who have not yet had a book published, but will have one released between September 2013 and August 2014 by a traditional commercial publisher. You need a firm release date to be considered (well, as firm as it ever gets in publishing!).
What makes a great Deb? We’re considering all types of writers – children’s and adult fiction, nonfiction, memoir, etc. – and we are also looking to create a Deb class with a good mix of genres to bring you an audience you might not normally get. It will also interest our current readers to mix it up a little. We’re looking for outgoing and enthusiastic women with great writing skills who will keep the Deb Ball blog and community alive and well. You don’t have to have blogged previously, but if you have, please let us know where we can find you online so we can check it out.
Keep in mind, being a Deb requires a time commitment each week—not only are you responsible for your own posts, but you will need to commit to helping to maintain the site, find guest authors and publicize the blog through your own networking channels. It’s important that you have, or can make time for this—expect anywhere from a 2-4 hour commitment weekly.
Please copy and paste the following questions into an email and send them along with your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org . We’re accepting applications through July 30th, 2013. We will announce the new Deb Class of 2014 around the first week of August, and let those of you chosen know before announcing it on the blog.
After the new Debs are chosen there will be Deb boot camp (okay, it’s really just a passing off of the Deb baton) so that you’re ready to take the reins on September 1.
The best part of being a Deb is the camaraderie and friendship among the group. So if you’re not only looking to launch a book, but to launch some lifelong friendships, then The Debutante Ball is the place for you!
1. Tell us a little about yourself!
2. About your book?
3. Publisher and scheduled release date?
4. Why do you want to be a Deb? What do you bring to the dance? Please feel free to include details about other writings you may have published; experience you have with blogging or online writing communities; and other skills or experience you may have with PR/marketing, websites, working within a group, or anything else you feel may be relevant and/or helpful. (due to the fact that all five of us will be reading all of these, please try to limit this to around 300-400 words, thanks!).
5. How did you find out about The Debs?
6. Anything we forgot to ask?
The main responsibilities of a Deb include, but are not limited to:
- Blogging one day per week on an agreed-upon topic, and helping to contribute to a daily presence on the site by commenting on other Deb posts
- Providing your fellow Debs with your book in advance of your release week so they can read it (one copy can be passed around by mail or e-galleys, if your publisher offers electronic ARCs)
- Maintaining the website (it’s all set up for you, so this is easier than it might sound, but there is regular maintenance to be done)
- Managing the Twitter and Facebook accounts, including daily promotions of posts through both tweets and Facebook postings
- Hosting a guest on Saturdays and putting up a News Flash on Sunday
- Choosing your topics for the year
- Giving away a copy of your book to celebrate your launch week
- Choosing next year’s Debutante Ball class of 2015
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!!
Latest posts by AmyN (see all)
- So Long And Farewell From Deb Amy - Friday, August 30, 2013
- Deb Amy Likes The Rest Stops Along The Way - Friday, August 16, 2013
- Deb Amy Flips For Friday! Ten Things You Might Not Know About The Glass Wives! - Friday, August 9, 2013
- Deb Amy Goes All Cliché About Endings - Friday, August 2, 2013
- Deb Amy Bends When The Wind Blows. Or At Least She Tries. - Friday, July 26, 2013