Aloha! Everyone gets jealous. It’s human nature. I won’t lie and say that I don’t get jealous. But….. I have to remind myself how far I’ve come. Nine years ago, I was complacent. I was working on my book, and not worrying about too much – I wasn’t sure that I was going to get that book published, but I was sure of the support structure I had put in place, and I had established a routine for myself, and I figured something would work out. After the state police raided my house at gunpoint in May 2010, and confiscated my computer, I was lost for a while. I had to start over. I had to get help. I had to re-establish everything.
These days when I’m feeling jealous or overlooked, I just have to remind myself – and this is a rinse and repeat process – that i got through the worst period with a lot of help from my friends, with the kindness and support of strangers. What I have learned in the past nine years: I’m in competition with no one. I’m only racing against the clock. I hope that we all have our publishing dreams come true, and together we can set a diverse and rich table of books.
One of my kids really loves Disney, so I have a favorite song to share when you’re feeling the green-eyed beast rise up: Let It Go
Latest posts by Devi Laskar (see all)
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: bloopers - Tuesday, July 16, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: Chopping block - Tuesday, July 9, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: Temper! - Tuesday, July 2, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: The case against the green-eyed beastie - Tuesday, June 25, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: Number 1 Fan - Tuesday, June 18, 2019