Aloha! Everyone gets jealous. It’s human nature. I won’t lie and say that I don’t get jealous. But….. I have to remind myself how far I’ve come. Nine years ago, I was complacent. I was working on my book, and not worrying about too much – I wasn’t sure that I was going to get that book published, but I was sure of the support structure I had put in place, and I had established a routine for myself, and I figured something would work out. After the state police raided my house at gunpoint in May 2010, and confiscated my computer, I was lost for a while. I had to start over. I had to get help. I had to re-establish everything.
These days when I’m feeling jealous or overlooked, I just have to remind myself – and this is a rinse and repeat process – that i got through the worst period with a lot of help from my friends, with the kindness and support of strangers. What I have learned in the past nine years: I’m in competition with no one. I’m only racing against the clock. I hope that we all have our publishing dreams come true, and together we can set a diverse and rich table of books.
One of my kids really loves Disney, so I have a favorite song to share when you’re feeling the green-eyed beast rise up: Let It Go
Latest posts by Devi Laskar (see all)
- Introducing Kathleen West: Author of MINOR DRAMAS & OTHER CATASTROPHES - Tuesday, August 27, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: Mahalo and Aloha - Tuesday, August 20, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: book baby birthday bash - Tuesday, August 13, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: What Happens Next - Tuesday, August 6, 2019
- Attacus Atlas & Other Inventions: They Could Have Named Her Anything! - Tuesday, July 30, 2019