In honor of today’s release of Deb Eileen’s The Education of Hailey Kendrick, Deb Eleanor is taking a break from all this dancing and letting one of our favorite Debs take a turn around the dance floor. Deb Eileen, we’re so glad to have you come by for a visit!
Deb Eileen Cook on New Beginnings
The Education of Hailey Kendrick is my fourth book. In theory I should know what I’m doing by now. I’m often asked what I’ve learned about publishing that I didn’t know when I started. After my first book release I remember being quite shocked by the following:
1) Oprah did not call to beg me to be on her show. Nor did Ellen, The Today Show, Larry King, or NPR.
2) My hometown did not throw a parade in my honour complete with those giant inflatable cartoon character balloons and marching bands.
3) When I entered a bookstore there was no red carpet leading to a giant floor display of my books and a blare of trumpets to announce my arrival.
4) Everyday life continued. The grocery clerk didn’t know (or care) who I was, fans and paparazzi did not cluster outside my house, there was still laundry that needed to be done, and someone really needed to clean out the fridge, especially that scary zone under the vegetable crisper.
I’d seen publication as some sort of finish line. A chance to say that I had “arrived.” What I’ve learned is that publishing isn’t a destination, it’s a journey. Every book (heck-every chapter)- is a chance to start again. Another new beginning. We can write this book better. We can introduce our readers to new characters, to feel new things, and to raise new questions.
Every writer I know (no matter how many books they’ve written) still have a moment where they sit down and look at the blank page and wonder if they can do it. Do they have another story that needs to be told? Do they have the strength and talent to take this new book from start to finish? I don’t know- but I know I can’t wait to start the next book.
Thanks for having me back at the ball, Debs! I love an excuse to break out my tiara!
Latest posts by Eleanor Brown (see all)
- The Debutante Ball Welcomes (Back) Deb Eleanor! - Saturday, February 4, 2012
- Deb Eleanor’s Debut Year in Numbers - Tuesday, August 23, 2011
- Characters We Love and Loathe, by Deb Eleanor - Tuesday, August 16, 2011
- Be a Homebody With Deb Eleanor - Tuesday, August 9, 2011
- Love, Lust, and Deb Tawna’s MAKING WAVES! (Giveaway!) - Tuesday, August 2, 2011