Congrats to Julia Munroe Martin, winner of a copy of Jenny Torres Sanchez’s The Downside of Being Charlie!
From the 2012 Debs…
Deb Joanne was interviewed this week over at A Cupcake and a Latte for the June Fresh on the Shelf feature – there’s a giveaway of SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE, so make sure you head over and enter. There’s also another giveaway over at The Class of 2k12 – this is for an annotated copy of both SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE and (upcoming Deb guest poster) Katherine Longshore’s amazing historical, GILT.
Deb Erika was very excited to show cover art for her upcoming release, THE MERMAID COLLECTOR! What do you all think?
Deb Molly is currently in Iowa, where she did a whole bunch of book events and is now kicking it at her 10 year college reunion.
Deb Linda has been discussing bookstore events with her publicist, and trying not to freak out at the thought. She also turned in Book 2, and is quite relieved about that.
Deb Rachel is getting excited for next weekend’s Printer’s Row Litfest, where she’ll be on a panel with The Bloggess, Jenny Lawson!
Deb Ball 2013 Applications are officially open!
Are you interested in being one of the Class of 2013 Debs at The Debutante Ball? We want to hear from you!
We are looking for female writers who have not yet had a book published, but will have one released between September 2012 and August 2013 by a traditional commercial publisher. You need a firm release date to be considered (well, as firm as it ever gets in publishing!).
What makes a great Deb? We’re considering all types of writers – children’s and adult fiction, nonfiction, memoir, etc. – and we are also looking to create a Deb class with a good mix of genres to bring you an audience you might not normally get. It will also interest our current readers to mix it up a little. We’re looking for outgoing and enthusiastic women with great writing skills who will keep the Deb Ball blog and community alive and well. You don’t have to have blogged previously, but if you have, please let us know where we can find you online so we can check it out.
Keep in mind, being a Deb requires a time commitment each week—not only are you responsible for your own posts, but you will need to commit to helping to maintain the site, find guest authors and publicize the blog through your own networking channels. It’s important that you have, or can make time for this—expect anywhere from a 2-4 hour commitment weekly.
Please copy and paste the following questions into an email and send them along with your answers to email@example.com . We’re accepting applications through June 30th, 2012. We will announce the new Deb Class of 2013 around the first week of August, and let those of you chosen know by July 31st.
1. Tell us a little about yourself!
2. About your book?
3. Publisher and scheduled release date?
4. Why do you want to be a Deb? What do you bring to the dance? Please feel free to include details about other writings you may have published; experience you have with blogging or online writing communities; and other skills or experience you may have with PR/marketing, websites, working within a group, or anything else you feel may be relevant and/or helpful. (due to the fact that all five of us will be reading all of these, please try to limit this to around 300-400 words, thanks!).
5. How did you find out about The Debs?
6. Anything we forgot to ask?
The main responsibilities of a Deb include, but are not limited to:
- Blogging one day per week on an agreed-upon topic, and helping to contribute to a daily presence on the site by commenting on other Deb posts
- Providing your fellow Debs with your book in advance of your release week so they can read it (one copy can be passed around by mail)
- Maintaining the website (it’s all set up for you, so this is easier than it might sound, but there is regular maintenance to be done)
- Managing the Twitter and Facebook accounts, including daily promotions of posts through both tweets and Facebook postings
- Hosting a guest on Saturdays and putting up a News Flash on Sunday
- Choosing your topics for the year
- Giving away a copy of your book to celebrate your launch week
- Choosing next year’s Debutante Ball class of 2014
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!!
Latest posts by ErikaM (see all)
- Newsflash: September 2, 2012 - Sunday, September 2, 2012
- Deb Erika Always Wanted to be The Goodbye Girl (and a Golden Girl, too) - Tuesday, August 28, 2012
- Newsflash: August 26, 2012 - Sunday, August 26, 2012
- Deb Linda’s Launch Week of IN A FIX Continues with Deb Erika’s Question! - Tuesday, August 21, 2012
- Newsflash: August 19, 2012 - Sunday, August 19, 2012