Congrats to Amy, winner of last week’s giveaway of The Child Finder, the acclaimed novel by Rene Denfeld!
And thank you so much to yesterday’s guest, Lori Rader-Day! If you haven’t already, enter the #DebBallGiveaway to win a copy of Under a Dark Sky. You can enter by sharing our post on Facebook and/or retweeting the following tweet:
— The Debutante Ball (@DebutanteBall) September 15, 2018
News from Previous Debs:
- Our guest Lori Rader-Day has some exciting news to share as well: she won the Anthony Award for Best Paperback Original for her third novel, The Day I Died, last weekend at Bouchercon, the largest mystery readers’ conference in the world. Lori also became the Vice President-Elect of Sisters in Crime National, a 3600-member organization to promote the work of women crime writers. Congratulations, Lori!
Lori Rader-Day with her Anthony Award
Photo by Mia P. Manansala
- Lori’s fellow Class of 2014 Deb Natalia Sylvester is an award winner this week too! She won an International Latino Book Award (Best Latino Focused Fiction Book – English) for her novel Everyone Knows You Go Home. Huge congrats to Natalia!
Called my mom. EVERYONE KNOWS YOU GO HOME won an International Latino Book Award! pic.twitter.com/oe3XFaOdqD
— Natalia Sylvester (@NataliaSylv) September 9, 2018
News from the Class of 2019 Debs:
|K.A. Doore is still busy reading Pitch Wars submissions. She’s definitely still taking a break from writing and hasn’t started dabbling in a new story, nope, no way, no sir. But if you happen to be an expert in dengue fever or other mosquito-borne tropical diseases… *mouths “call me”*|
|Devi S. Laskar will be participating in “Writing and Writers in the Time of Trump” tomorrow evening (Monday) alongside Sylvia Brownrigg and Faith Adiele and Claire Tristram; the event is free and open to the public, and is being hosted by Bookshop Santa Cruz.|
|Layne Fargo has good news but isn’t sure if she’s allowed to share it publicly yet (the constant publishing struggle!). She’s still reading Pitch Wars subs but thinks she’s found The One.|
|Stephanie Jimenez finally got a haircut, wrote a bunch of overdue thank-you-cards, and went for that run she’s been talking about for weeks. This week, she will attempt going to another literary event (former deb Natalia Sylvester has a reading in NYC!) and draw up deadlines for Book #2 that seem doable and joy-inducing.|
|Martine Fournier Watson is almost maybe sort of finishing up a draft of book number two. It is a very messy process, quite unlike the almost perfectly linear drafting of The Dream Peddler. And it’s a completely different book, so it remains to be seen if her agent or editor will even like it.|
See you next week when we share more about our paths to publication.
Latest posts by Layne Fargo (see all)
- Interview with Suzanne Baltsar and Trouble Brewing Giveaway - Saturday, September 22, 2018
- Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes - Wednesday, September 19, 2018
- [News Flash] September 16, 2018 - Sunday, September 16, 2018
- Main Character Seeking Plot - Wednesday, September 12, 2018
- [News Flash] September 9, 2018 - Sunday, September 9, 2018