I’m sorry, did someone say overwhelmed author? Yeah, I don’t have time to write this post because I’m in SYSTEM OVERLOAD. No really, I am. I’m putting together my marketing plan for book two at the moment and trying, trying, trying to put words on paper for book three…and I still feel like I just wrapped all my book promo for my debut. (I could also go into conference proposals, an anthology I’m scheming to put together, and the books I’m editing for people–but I won’t.) *pants* They call this the daily grind, ladies and gentlemen. Which brings me to my one big point today.
We need to focus on one day at a time, one task at a time. Cross each of the pesky items off your list with a sparkly gel pen, highlight the next spot on your calendar, and make your way through the next task. Wash, repeat. Then bring on the booze, as Susan said in her post yesterday. This is how we survive the overload. This is how we accomplish our goals and write beautiful books. One single word, one single step at a time. Also?
Kvetch to Friends
Gorge on Cheezits, followed by chocolate
Binge watch on Netflix
Exercise. A lot. It helps.
Booze. Did I mention booze?
Take a minute to revel in the beautiful thing you’ve created, the love you’ve poured into it, and be PROUD. Screw the overload. Don’t let it get the best of you, or let it become your enemy. Be proud of and joyous about all you’ve done and all you will do. That has to be enough, because that’s all there is. Doing what you love is pretty damn meaningful and I feel blessed to be suffering and exalting right along with it.
Latest posts by Heather Webb (see all)
- Agent Interview with Michelle Brower: On Pitch Sessions, Her Dream Project, & Industry Gossip - Wednesday, January 20, 2016
- Where Are They Now? An Update from Deb Alum Heather Webb - Thursday, May 7, 2015
- So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye… - Thursday, August 28, 2014
- Book Two Updates: The Countdown to Rodin’s Lover Begins - Thursday, August 21, 2014
- Looking Back is a Historical Author’s Favorite Past Time, Unless We’re Talking Launches - Thursday, August 14, 2014