It’s release week for THE COINCIDENCE OF COCONUT CAKE by our very own Amy Reichert! Which means, if you haven’t ordered it already, you should do so. Like, STAT. It’s the perfect summer book to devour on the beach or in a hammock — or in bed every night after chasing around four kids every day and wishing you were lying on the beach or in a hammock.
Anyway, here are 5 reasons why you should buy this book tomorrow. And then share it with all your friends.
1. The food. As you may have guessed from the title, there is cake in this book. Lots of delicious cake. And who doesn’t like cake? But because the main character Lou is a chef, there is a lot of other food porn — like cheese curds. I had never heard of them — apparently they’re a Milwaukee staple, but the description had me Jonesing for them in a bad way: “… hot and oozing a little bit of white cheddar; the outside was crispy and salty when he bit.” Excuse me while I go book my flight for Wisconsin.
2. The expert plotting. TCOCC is a love story of mis-identity. Two people fall in love without realizing who it is, exactly, that they are falling in love with. To buy the love story, you have to buy that premise — and Amy sells it well.
3. Al. He’s a gruff, British man that jumps right off the page and into your heart. Plus, I’m a sucker for an accent.
4. Page 228. I don’t want to spoil it, but this is the beginning of a steamy kitchen cooking scene between Lou and Al— my favorite one in the whole book. I don’t recommend people skipping ahead in books, but this scene is well worth a sneak peek.
5. The recipe. At the end of the book, Amy share her grandmother’s very own Coconut Cake recipe! It’s the perfect thing for your book club to eat while discussing the steamy scene on p. 228.
Congratulations, Amy! I can’t wait to read many, many more funny, dreamy and delicious books from you in the future!