I’ve already talked about the books I can’t wait to read this summer on my podcast, so I figured for this post I’d recommend a few books I’ve already read which I think should be in beach bags everywhere this summer:
Keep it cool with Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips
I have no doubt this is going to be one of my top 10 books of 2019. Phillips’s novel of interconnected stories, all centering around the kidnapping of two young sisters on Russia’s remote Kamchatka peninsula, is a literary masterwork that’s somehow also a gripping page-turner. You’ll barely need air conditioning with Disappearing Earth‘s wintry setting and chilling story in your hands!
Turn up the heat with The Arrangement by Robyn Harding
This thriller about an affair gone wrong between an art student and her sugar daddy is delightfully trashy in all the best ways. I devoured it in a day (unfortunately I was not lounging on a beach at the time). I’d say it’s a guilty pleasure, except I don’t believe in that. Never feel guilty about your pleasures, especially when you’re on summer vacation!
Become your best self with How to Hold a Grudge by Sophie Hannah
Summer is a perfect time to reevaluate your priorities and improve yourself. Sure, you could try to work out more, or KonMari your closet, but why not instead get better at something that will bring you joy and fulfillment long after summer is over: holding grudges! Hannah’s wise and delightful guidebook will show you the way.
Latest posts by Layne Fargo (see all)
- [News Flash] September 15, 2019 - Sunday, September 15, 2019
- [News Flash] September 1, 2019 - Sunday, September 1, 2019
- Interview with Shelby Mahurin, Author of SERPENT & DOVE - Saturday, August 31, 2019
- Introducing Karen Osborne: Author of ARCHITECTS OF MEMORY - Wednesday, August 28, 2019
- Interview with Maureen Joyce Connolly and LITTLE LOVELY THINGS Giveaway - Saturday, August 24, 2019