This week, in prep for Halloween, the Debs are writing about their biggest fears about publishing.
It’s no surprise, with all its spookiness, that Halloween comes with its own list of fears.
Wiccaphobia (witches), Formidophobia (scarecrows), Coimetrophobia (cemeteries), and well, Samhainophobia (Halloween itself).
It’s also no surprise that publishing a book shares some of these same Halloween-related phobias. I’ve done some soul searching, I’ve established a safe word (bestseller), and I’m about to share my list of publishing fears.
Eisoptrophobia (mirrors, or seeing oneself in a mirror): I mean, let’s get real, after a full day of writing or editing, I ain’t pretty.
Hadephobia (Hell, or going to Hell): As in a reader declaring, “what the hell is this garbage?” or “what the hell? this book isn’t historically accurate!” Shudders.
Taphephobia (being buried alive): In bad reviews.
Dementophobia (insanity): I won’t lie, this publishing journey has led me to drink (on various occasions). Insanity really isn’t that far off.
Demonophobia (demons): Writing has that really “fun” benefit of bringing up demons from my past. It shows it’s teeth, leers, and vocalizes my phobophobia (fear of fears), “what if you fail at this, too?”
Coimetrophobia (cemeteries): Ya know, where my book would go if it bombs. Shudders, again.
*Deep breaths* That was therapeutic. And, don’t worry, there may be fears involved in publishing, but when Thanksgiving rolls around with delicious pumpkin pie, us gals will be talking about the things we’re thankful for, too! Stay tuned!
Latest posts by Jenni L. Walsh (see all)
- Jenni L. Walsh Says Goodbye (For Now) - Thursday, August 31, 2017
- Interview with Former Deb Kerry Schafer + #DebBallGiveaway of WORLD TREE GIRL & I WISH YOU HAPPY - Saturday, August 26, 2017
- A Snapshot of Jenni L. Walsh’s Debut Year - Thursday, August 24, 2017
- Interview with Hazel Gaynor + #DebBallGiveaway of THE COTTINGLEY SECRET - Saturday, August 19, 2017
- Happy reading, #histfic fans! - Thursday, August 17, 2017