Happy New Year to my fellow Debs and all our readers! Hope your 2019 is off to a great start.
I’m the kind of Type A weirdo who makes resolutions all year long, but for the start of 2019 I’m trying to keep it relatively simple and focus on the following:
- Writing consistently – I’ve tried word count goals, time goals, etc. in the past, but this year I just want to write consistently. By which I mean: plan ahead and make steady, meaningful progress toward my goals (my main one being to finish another book this year so it can hopefully come out in 2020).
- Reading more – I read over 100 books last year, and I’d like to keep that up or exceed it this year. I feel better, mentally and physically, when I spend the majority of my downtime reading instead of staring at screens, and also my TBR runneth over.
- Listening to my body – Eating when I’m hungry, stopping when I’m full (and eating what I really want, not what I think I should be eating), unplugging and relaxing when I’m anxious or in pain, going to sleep when I’m tired instead of scrolling Twitter one more time (okay, twelve more times).
- Using social media more intentionally – I admire people who can quit social media, but that’s not me. Even if I didn’t need it for book marketing, I’ve met some of my favorite people on Twitter and Facebook (and some of my favorite dogs on Instagram). But in 2019 I want to get better at using social media for specific purposes and then logging off instead of scrolling aimlessly.
- And finally: not biting my nails anymore – My resolution every year since I was a kid, maybe this will finally be my year!!! LOL probably not since I do it more than ever when stressed, but maybe the prospect of doing public book signings with raggedy-ass fingernails will shame me into quitting. If anyone has any surefire anti-nail biting tips, hit me with them (and no, the gross-tasting polish does not stop me, I’ve tried it).