There are few food products that aren’t made better by setting them on fire. Take marshmallows. A plain, dare I say raw, marshmallow tastes rather bland. Sticky. Sweet. Overall a rather disturbing texture if you think about it for too long. Ah, but set that sucker on fire, a sugar napalm nugget, and you’ve got a taste treat. Slap that sucker on a graham cracker with some chocolate (and frequently a light sprinkle of beach sand) and you’re pretty close to heaven.
When I think of summer foods I think of grilling. We grill everything: steaks, salmon, veggie kabobs, peaches, pineapple and even pizza. The first time we threw the dough on the grill I was pretty certain that it would sag and droop between the grates, but darn it all it worked, just like it did on the fancy cooking shows. Pizza Recipe or funky pizza with pears.
I’m not sure what it is about the grill that makes it so much fun. LOOK AT ME! I’M COOKING OUTSIDE! But it works. It makes me wonder if other things that feel like chores when done on the inside would be more fun if we took them outside. Maybe if the bathroom was in the backyard I would be all excited to clean it. Somehow I doubt this.
What is your favorite thing to grill?
Latest posts by Eileen (see all)
- The Second Time Around - Saturday, January 3, 2009
- Cancer is a Bitch- but Gail isn’t by Deb Eileen - Saturday, October 4, 2008
- I Never Knew When To Leave A Party- By (long term) Deb Eileen - Friday, August 22, 2008
- Food just tastes better when you set it on fire by Deb Eileen - Friday, August 1, 2008
- Heavy Lifting and Monty Python…by Deb Eileen - Friday, July 18, 2008