For years I dreamed of writing a book and getting it published. Now that I’m only months away from publication, I’ve been dreaming about my wish list for my debut year. Some items on the list are pure fantasy. Some others might actually happen.
Getting The Talking Drum reviewed in the New York Times Sunday books section—No elaboration needed
Winning The Boston Authors Club Julia Ward Howe Prize—The prize, named after the author of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, is awarded to outstanding adult and young books. The awards recognize exceptional books by Boston area authors in the categories of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and young reader
Having a full-length feature in Bookpage magazine, in which I am interviewed about The Talking Drum—I pick up this free publication in the library on a regular basis and helps to guide me in my book-purchasing decisions. BookPage is a discovery tool for readers, highlighting the best new books across all genres. BookPage is editorially independent; only books the editors highly recommend are featured.
Doing an author interview on National Public Radio—The interviews are engaging, relatively lengthy and in-depth. The program has a broad listenership.
Appearing in O, The Oprah magazine–I’d like to appear in a feature about debut novelists in which I am part of a fashion spread and am talking about my novel.
Having my book optioned as a TV series focusing on The Talking Drum’s theme of gentrification—This may not be too farfetched. There has been a wave of TV shows about gentrification: “The Neighborhood,” “The Last O.G.,” “Shameless,” “Vida,” the list goes on.
Latest posts by Lisa Braxton (see all)
- Interview (and Book Giveaway) with Nicole Mabry, author of Past This Point - Saturday, July 4, 2020
- A Deleted Scene from The Talking Drum - Monday, June 29, 2020
- Interview (and book giveaway) with Jeni McFarland, author of The House of Deep Water - Saturday, June 27, 2020
- A Favorite Book from my Childhood - Monday, June 22, 2020
- Dealing with Professional Jealousy in the Writing Industry - Monday, June 15, 2020